Monday, January 30, 2012

Week 3 Jim Gee

I actually provided a link to this video on my blog before this because I found the content so interesting.  I think Gee demonstrated how our view of assessment is changing.  We talk about alternative assessment but in this video Gee shows how this can be used rather than using a standard form of testing.  I really like the fact that he points out that there are schools out there competing for students.  I live in Pittsburgh during the week and see first hand how charter schools and alternative schools compete for students.  Many of the charter schools are completely on-line or virtual schools and the content delivered both in home and at larger central meeting sites.  The charter schools are free for most students with the school district paying the cost of attendance.   I also like his comment that the developers must be successful in teaching the player how to maneuver throughout the game or they would not sell any games.  I never thought about that fact but if a good example of the importance of teaching problem solving and identifying patterns while learning.  I agree we will see two different forms of education and believe that as educators we must be ready.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for finding this video for me Lynn! Good application between gaming making schools more competitive and maybe not in a good way!

    ReplyDelete