Sunday, September 9, 2012

week 3 activity 1 & 2

Century Link
The Century Link commercial is a cheerful commercial with a upbeat song.  I like the use of the slinkies to make a familiar connection but also to show how all people are connect.  I did have trouble with the message which was not clear to me and I may have missed the message that Quest has merger with Century Link..  I think the deconstruction was on point but critical.  I did not think that the commercial favored one cultural group over another and made a connection between several different commercials.  I would not make a decision to use Quest services solely based on this commercial.
Alltel
I agree that Alltel's commercial contained  stereotypes of both the middle class family and the Latino men.  I think on the surface the commercial is funny and delivers the message of concerns over high cell phone bills.  After I listened to the deconstruction I could see how it could be offensive to the Latino community.   The men were portrayed as loud uneducated and unsophisticated living with a farm animal and three living in one room while the white family had a beautiful house. I also did not see the disclaimer in the commercial and when the terms of the service was pointed out, the message seemed deceitful and a company I would not trust.  I do not agree with the extent the deconstruction went about the white family.   I think that the message would have been the same if a middle class black family replaced the dad, mother and daughter.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this commercial was not so much about race as it was about class. I think the commercial marginalized lower income families. The hidden message was that normal family are home owners while people who rent are "wacky".

    ReplyDelete